Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Void dragons, Vect and OSL

The progress on the void dragons continues.  I've even got a Void Dragon army list put together that I brought up to AFK last week (but failed to get a game in).  Anyways I committed to creating a Vect model for the Independent Characters Hobby Challenge.  The main reason for this is he is expensive and gets me a quarter of the way to 1000 points by himself.  Digging through the bits box, this is what I came up with.  It takes a little liberty (namely his specter is a spear) but it is suitably archon-y for me.  Not that it liely to ever see significant table time, but I would probably use him as a generic archon in the future.

I also took advantage of the fact that this guy isn't going to see a lot of table time to try some new techniques. Namely object source lighting and air brush work.  The airbrushing didn't do much and was largely covered over with traditional painting, However I did get a little more feel for how it works on actual models.The OSL lighting worked nicely I think.  As a rule I think OSL gets overused but I wanted to create an impression of the archon dodging the plasma shot by inches.  I think it worked.

If I were to do this again I would give him a bare head. As a rule, I hate uncovered heads as a rule and I think they are massively overused.  Really in a world of bolt shells, ray guns and guns that shoot ultra thin shurikens, you think your skull will stop the shot by itself?  However here I think it could have given shifted the focus a bit more to the eldar.  I went with the helmet because I wanted to make sure I got enough red in there to fit with the army, since his ghostplate was gray he didn't have much black or red on him yet.



1 comment: